Thread: Charity Quilts
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 05:34 PM
draggin_behind

I think that making a charity quilt is an opportunity to give back and thank God for the blessings I have received. You know the old adage, "cast your bread upon the waters and it shall come back to you buttered and toasted". Nothing given away with love (and the right attitude) really costs much because what's given away is returned with interest, eventually!

What I really hate is the mentality of "just throw it together and get it done as fast as possible" where the quantity out the door is of paramount importance. It does no one any good to make a tacky quilt to give away and the pool of receipents feel like drawing straws for the short straw to get stuck with the quilt.

I don't want any of the people who receive my quilts to feel like they got stuck with it. I'm a newbie quilter and perhaps my seams don't always match (ok, so they rarely match as well as I think they should) but I try to do my best. If I'm in a foul mood, quilting for others is not something I should be doing. Even on my best day, I'm not up to competition standards, but that doesn't mean I can try to put together a nice quilt, charity or no.

Our small quilting group of 10 has a service project of making lap quilts for the residents of a nursing home which basically translates to each of us making about 15 lap quilts between now and Thanksgiving. Some think it's okay to just grab squares and sew them together, and if they match okay, if not, well it's a learning experience. I'm okay with scrappy sometimes, but putting holiday fabric and hula girls in the same quilt is a little too much for me. But perhaps someone receiving the quilt will love it.

I like to put thought into it. May not look like I did in the end, but I did try! :lol: