View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Quilter672

Keep your fabric and sewing equipment in a room with a door where the cat and the smoker won't go. That way you can go in there and sew without worrying about cat hair or smoke

Not to burst anyone's bubble but keeping your fabrics in ONE room when the smoker or pets have access to all other rooms in the house will not prevent the odor or dander from leeching into the sewing room. I am an asthma sufferer and can pick up the scents immediately from stored fabric or items made of fabric from a smoker's home. I would not want to take a chance of inducing an asthma attack or allergic reaction to something I was selling. Maybe it is because of the condition I have which makes me intensely aware of scents and dander. It is not fun to not be able to breathe! A friend of mine is a long arm quilter and cannot even work on quilt tops where the maker has used fabric softener when washing or dryinging their fabric or quilt tops before they brought it to her to quilt for them. You are so thoughtful to want to be careful when selling your items...storing them in plastic after laundering may help but, as others have said, you cannot store them too long in plastic.