Old 08-10-2011, 09:09 AM
AndiR

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by AndiR
I think you may have figured incorrectly. A 50" x 50" quilt would have a perimeter of 200" which equals 16.7 running feet. At $.15 per running foot you would only make $2.49!! (16.7 x .15).

I charge by the linear inch. If I'm making binding, machine attach to front, hand stitch to back, I charge $.25 per inch. So in the above example I would charge $50. Maybe I'm slow, but it will take me at least a couple of hours, and I won't work for less than minimum wage.

A business needs to consider that the amount the business takes in (the $50) is NOT the amount the 'employee' (you) makes. You need to subtract out overhead like advertising, supplies, self-employment taxes, etc. General rule of thumb is 1/3 to taxes, 1/3 to overhead, 1/3 to yourself.

You can do a big quilt-----by hand--- in two hours? Guess I stop too many times for coffee, the potty, and changing TV channels.
Oh, no, not for a big one!! That was for the size she stated, about 50 x 50. A queen would take me at least 4 hours for the handstitching alone, another 30 - 60 to make, press, attach and trim the quilt - and that's without breaks. By the time you add those in, it's probably 2 or 3 days!! :-)