View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Flying_V_Goddess

Originally Posted by maryb44662
I was asked by a neighbor if I would make a quilt to be raffeled off by the church as a fund raiser. She wanted to know how much I would charge, I told her nothing, that it would be my contribution to the church. Now.....what would be a good pattern to use for a queen sized quilt? I am looking for any suggestions. Thanks, Mary
I just bought a new McCall's quilting and there was an article on raffle quilts.

It was saying that a scrappy quilt with like 8-9 colors work best. From the writer's experiance a quilt with 3-4 colors will get comments like "What a beautiful quilt, but it wouldn't go with my decor" and then you loose a ticket sale. It also said to think about who will be buying the tickets. "For example, if you are a church group, your ticket sales will be church members, at church suppers and other events, at shopping malls, and so on. I can tell you that in this case, a traditional quilt is a must".

I would do a sampler quilt of traditional blocks (churn dash, eight point star, log cabin, etc). If you didn't want to make every single block different then something equally traditional and classic...if I had to pick one I'd go with the Log Cabin.