View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 07:38 PM
MsEithne

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Ok, here's my issue. I have one little red seam ripper that I love because it is petite and has a thin blade...hate those thick blade ones. I'm scared that I'm gong to lose it and not have a replacement! :) So I'm looking for a back-up. I have tiny hands and also have fibro so need something that is easy to hold and comfortable, too. I like the short ones because I can handle them better.

Which one would you all recommend????
I use a #12 disposable scalpel. The blade is thinner than a razor blade and it is mounted on a lightweight plastic handle. The blade is crescent shaped with the inner curve sharp and the tip is thin and pointed enough to slide under a stitch in a seam that was sewn at 20+ stitches to the inch. They come with a little plastic cap that fits over the blade. Among the intended uses is suture removal.

They stay sharp for a lot of ripping. As soon as I feel any effort at all in cutting thread, I put it in my sharps container and open a new one (they come in boxes o9f 10 or 25). They are usually around $0.40 to $0.50 apiece.

You MUST be careful about how you rip with them because they are really sharp. They're scalpels! Like you, I have fibro so for me it's worth it to pay a little closer attention than it is to have to use more muscle power with less attention.