View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 05:20 AM
EIQuilter

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I was wondering that too. Is it no stitch in the ditch because they found the stitching was generally not close enough together if done stitch in the ditch or because it is not the style that they are looking for in a quality quilt? I don't do stitch in the ditch generally as I think it is hard to do but it might be good to know if they are lookibng for 4 inches apart or other points like the style.

Originally Posted by Ngeorgia
It states stitch length but not how close the stitching needs to be (like every 3-4". Is that based on the batting used?
What is considered "giant meander"?

I think it would have been helpful if the instructions/guidelines had said that quilting lines should be no further than X inches apart.

What are they looking for?
Just to clarify, the requirements do not say NO stitch in the ditch; they do say not to do ONLY stitch in the ditch.

I treat each QOV as I would any other quilt I longarm. I try to choose a quilting pattern that complements the quilt top - sometimes it's an overall design, sometimes it's custom. I try not to leave any patch of fabric unquilted. For example, if the top is made of nine-patches, I would make sure a line of quilting goes through each of the nine patches in each block. That would be the minimum amount of quilting for me - depending on the batting used, the flatness of the quilt top to start with, the size of the blocks, etc., I would very likely have two or three lines of quilting in each patch.

If you're concerned about whether your quilting is appropriate, you can always contact QOV and ask them to match you up with a volunteer longarmer. The only cost to you is the cost of shipping the top and backing to the longarmer. They provide the batting (at least I always have) and labor.