View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 06:00 AM
Dbl Trouble

I make these all the time and they may have the icing you are looking for. They don't have raisins but maybe sub for the nuts. I'll try it too.

Bake Sale Cookies Helen

(Iced Oatmeal)

2 c. flour
1 c. sugar
½ c. shortening
1/3 c. honey
1 t. baking soda
¾ t. salt
2 eggs
2 c. quick-cooking oats, uncooked
½ c. California walnuts, chopped

2 c. Confectioners’ sugar
¼ t. cream of tartar
2 egg whites

1. Into a large bowl, measure first 7 ingredients. With mixer at low speed, beat ingredients until well blended, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber scraper. With a wooden spoon, stir in oats and walnuts.

2. Preheat oven to 375 F. With floured hands, shape mixture into 1” balls. Place 2” apart on un-greased cookie sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown. With pancake turner, carefully remove to wire rack to cool.

3. Prepare frosting: In medium bowl with mixer at low speed, beat confectioners’ sugar, cream of tartar and egg whites until blended. Increase speed to high and beat 1 minute. (Mixture should be of easy spreading consistency.

4. Hold cookie upside down by the edges and dip in frosting. While still holding upside down, take a knife and ‘cut off’ excess frosting. Just a little icing and they looks like the store ones. Let dry 1 hour and store in tightly covered containers. Note: 1 batch of frosting will ice a double batch of cookies.

The original recipe made snowmen 1” and ½ “ balls baked together 1/2 inch apart and dipped in the icing and decorated with hair, eyes, mouth and a scarf. They are adorable that way. Top of head was brown sprinkles, silver balls for eyes, red hot for mouth and green or red sugar for scarf. So cute.

Now they are a favorite at bake sales. I took them to a bake sale my church had at the local bank and everyone that works at the bank bought them all. For several years the general public never saw these cookies, the bank staff would buy all of them! Pastel color icing at Easter, white with red or green sugar sprinkled at Christmas.

It wouldn’t be Christmas for one niece without these cookies, the snowman ones. She has loved these cookies since she was a small child.