View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 06:51 AM
jdiane318

I am a chapter coordinator for Project Linus in my area. We make and donate blankets for children birth-18 years of age. Our chapter also makes weighted blankets for children with Autistic Specturm Disorder or Special Needs. All it takes is 2-1yard pieces of fabric and 2.5 yards of Velcro and thread.
The shell is sewn and tubes are formed and are stuffed with rolled bath sheets, bath blankets, and surgical sheets that have been donated by the St. John's Regional Medical Center laundry for this purpose. These 2 weighted blankets bring the total made and donated to 470 in 3.5 years. We do request a donation if at all possible but it is not required. They take more time, work and extra expense but to see the look of a child or receive an email from a parent that says their child was calmed by the weight of the blanket or even hear from a family that said they actually slept through the night for the first time in that child's life is priceless. Not all chapters make them but there is a pattern on line at www.projectlinus.org that you can us. I make a simplified blanket and it can easily be made in less than 30 minutes simply by eyeballing the seam placement.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-239981.jpe   attachment-239982.jpe