View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 06:59 AM
GrannieAnnie

After the normal stuff of protecting my money and taking care of family, I'd start a cultural center here in our tiny community. The closest shopping is about 10 miles, about the same for any kind of "lessons". And that's quite limited. Big shopping and "culture" is 15 miles or more.

Anyway--------------and I've got the land to put this on.
First BIG building--not fancy--money goes to innards
Bottom floor--walk out basement--woodworking equipment and supply storage. Metal arts can be 500 feet away in my hubby's barn. I told him a long time ago all he's getting is the best of everything so he can pursue his favorite hobby--WORKING! Also, in another barn some big equipment so they can learn to use a back hoe or bulldozer or whatever. (some of that is going to be MINE!)

In this big building--ground floor will be for handiwork of various sorts. A couple long arm machines, a couple embroidery machines, several sewing machines from old treadles to ultra fancy computer machines, computers for design, cutting tables. Storage of course. Knitting, crochet, hand embroidery, whatever supplies and plenty of sewing rockers for all. List isn't complete but you get the drift.

Also a kitchen area big enough to do stuff like making cookies and cakes and such or just learning new recipes.

And here's how I'd expect it to work. Keep it open as many hours a day as possible to allow 2nd & 3rd shift workers to come in, too. We'll have to have someone on site most of the time, but my brother, his wife, my sis and her hubby, me, my hubby, older DD and her hubby and my younger DD's hubby (notice younger DD got left out---she wants a REAL job) would be a good start in staffing the center.

It would be open to anyone living in my county and the one just east. And we have a huge industrial plant about 3 miles from us---anyone who works there, regardless of where they work.

If I've got 200 million, I can afford all this. But in light of my belief we should all pay it forward, I'd expect help or donations of items once in a while from everyone using the facilities.

Since the money is way down the road, all this is subject to rewrite. tee hee