View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Merl

Hi all.
I have been lurking here for some time in the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop and I'm so intrigued by the vast array of topic that I finely just had to join in the fun.
I do some sewing and am doing more and more as I get better at it but, what I'm most interested in is collecting older sewing machines.
Some of you may recognize me from some other sewing/sewing machine sites so I'll be brief.
I have the beginnings of a modest collection of machines that sits currently at 8 treadles and some number greater than 35 electrics (sorry, I lost track after 35 and haven't had time to "take inventory" )
As a highly skilled machinist, I am quite enamored of the (usually) very high quality machine work of most sewing machines and that is much of what attracts me to them.
I also like the strong feeling of independence one gets from having the skills and knowledge to make your own clothing and the like, in the home at a machine that was repaired and maintained by ones own hands.
I'll be the first to admit that I like little better than having the house quiet and to myself with the sound of a light running treadle machine working on nothing too important and the aroma of a fresh cup of tea at my elbow.
Well, anyone that does know me, knows that I tend to go on and on so I'll cut this intro short and see you all later in the forums !