View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 11:39 AM
zoeytoo

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Originally Posted by shnnn
Originally Posted by zoeytoo

Adding, giving to a food pantry each time we get monthly groceries would be a way to reach out to people too proud to ask on the streets.
Our local food pantry also runs a thrift store. There is literally a mountain of donated clothing in their back room. I was there one day just picking around and overheard a young couple with a baby asking if they might be able to get a few appropriate clothes for their baby. They were told because they were not yet residents of this state that they could not be helped, and sent on their way with a couple of addresses for local churches. I was furious - as I was leaving I called a friend of mine to vent... I wound up tracking them back down and giving them the cash I had on me (and a $20 from my friend) for fuel to get them to their new home about 300 miles away. They had found a local church that was helping them with clothes for the baby (I had just given away all the clothes I had that would fit). It was just very frustrating to me - the pile of clothes in the back of that store is to the ceiling of an industrial warehouse! And they couldn't find a way to spare a few baby clothes!
I used to know a thrift store like that - and their prices were too high too!! Now I give all my extra clothes to a "clothes closet" where everything is free, no questions asked.
I stopped giving to the Salvation Army because when I was there donating I heard glass breaking and went to see what was happening. The store lady was breaking cups, glasses, ash trays, vases into a big bin. I asked why and she said they were making room for newer things. I asked why they didn't put them outside with a free sign and she said "Well, then people would not come in and buy would they?" I told her they should at least give them to a church rummage sale or the fire department to give to people in need after fires. People gave them to the Salvation Army thinking someone would benefit from them. I lost respect for the organization that day. I know they use to help people a lot. Do they still or is it a business?