Old 08-11-2011, 05:07 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JaneK
Hi All,
Well I have the opportunity to get a Singer 401A and it looks OK from the picture . Do you guys think I should get it, at what price and what are your opinions of the 401? Is it something I would love to own or should I pass? Thanks for your help, you are a great resource and I trust your judgement!!:)
Jane
Thread it up. Does it make a stitch? Do the stitch selector knobs work freely? Does it zigzag? Are the bottom gears rusted? Does it appear to have all it's parts? No to any it is a parts machine or needs TLC offer $25
If all are a yes, does it have Manual? Table? Does it have 5 disks? Are there any accessories? $150 + or - is good price. I love the 400 series machines I have. I think they beat out most newer machines. They are all metal. The needle is in a position you can see what you are doing. They are gear driven. Most of the stitches on a newer machine are on there. I had a medium end Janome with less stitch selection. The Janome did have needle position options which drove me nuts. I got rid of it and kept the Singer. BTW a Singer 403 is real nice too.