Old 11-25-2007, 11:07 PM
Flying_V_Goddess

Originally Posted by Celeste
FVG seems to have the right of it. She's certainly had experience with that! :D
She's right, you know. lol. I ran into many problems with that quilt. It was the first full sized quilt I ever worked on. The top turned out beautifully, but once the layers got sandwiched together it was a total nightmare at first. I don't have much space so trying to baste it together was a nightmare. Couldn't really baste it since denim is hard to sew. Resorted to basting spray, which didn't make things much easier. Got to sewing it and when I got about halfway done I noticed it was lumpy and bunched up in the middle. At this point, I wanted to give up, too. But I still stuck with it, even if it meant having to seam rip EVERYTHING aand had to re-think my whole stratgedy for getting this monster of a quilt together. What I ended up doing was tacking the backing on my wall (there was more wall space than floor space), pinning the batting to the backing, sewed it together every two inches or so...that process took several days to get through. After that I pinned the entire top onto that, quilted the layers together (and the more closer I got to the middle, the harder it got to sew), took out the bright pink thread holding together the batting and backing, and sewed the binding on. It was lengthy and tedious, but it worked out better than what I had tried and my quilt lied flat. Turned out great!

If I can do all that, then I figure you certainly can work out the kinks with your quilt and still have it turn out beautifully and have something to be proud of, too. Just gotta have a little faith. :) ...and maybe a break or two so you don't end up flinging it across the room out of frustration. lol