Thread: Bury Threads
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 04:11 AM
DogHouseMom

Can't offer pic's sorry ... but I know there is a video tute somewhere that I watched - Sharon Shambers perhaps?

Burrying threads refers to the quilting process .. what to do with the threads at the start/stop of quilting patterns. You'll need to leave a good 5-6" tail of both top and bobbin thread to do this. Using a hand needle you thread the tail and stitch it back into the quilt - just the batting part - don't stitch through to the other side of the quilt.

Thread these threads and bury them into the middle of the quilt - the batting. Thread the top into a hand sewing needle. Insert the threaded needle into a spot very close (but not the same spot!) that it came out of. I like to take a 'safety stitch' - I usually have my needle tip come out at another place where there are quilting stitches, then I'll take a tiny stitch along the line of quilting stitches to "disguise" the thread and again bury it into the batting only of the quilt. Pop the needle out anywhere - pull taught and snip off. Do the same with the bobbin thread.

Hope this helps. Hope I explained it well enough.