View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 04:55 AM
NJ Quilter

Originally Posted by nursie76
Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
I went to Obie's - NOT the PA Fabric Outlet. If you have the time Obie's is worth the visit just for the shock value. If you don't have a lot of time - don't take the time - IMHO. There are too many other places where you can see and get to the fabric at very comparable prices. I can think of several off the top of my head. Obie's is quite an experience but only if you have the time to kill.
What places in the area of Obies...which I believe is Lancaster area do you feel have the comparable or best prices? Inquiring minds want to know! LOL
Just my opinion...I like the Country Store, Zooks and Bitty Kinna's as they are all within walking distance from one another (just doors or a couple of blocks) in Intercourse, PA right on the main drag (Rt. 340). Country Store and Zooks have much larger selections than Bitty Kinna's but she has lots of things they do not have. Prices from all 3 are quite comparable. All have websites to check pricing. Sorry I'm not better on the pricing. I just bought scads of Hoffman Batiks from Country store and the prices was $7-9/yd I think???

Hayloft - which is around Morgantown, I believe, is a nice shop. Pricing is comparable but it's the only one that I'm aware of right there. If I go that way then I will stop in.

There is a shop/house (sorry - don't remember the name and I go there every time) on Rt. 340 between Intercourse and Bird-in-Hand that has lovely fabrics; a great markdown room and an entire ROOM of flannel. They also have a great notions shop in the basement. The house a rabbit warren full of fabric. Pricing, again, about the same.

Burkholders and Sauders which are both in Denver, PA are nice. Again, kind of off the beaten path but if you're there for a couple of days, worth the trip. I usually am only there for a few hours so I try to hit as many close together shops as I can.

Bird-in-Hand has a number of places that I haven't managed to hit yet. Maybe next time. We were going to last time but got off track trying to find Obie's and I didn't want to get stuck in any more rush hour traffic than I had to so didn't go back that way.

All of these places are in the 'Lancaster' area. I would say within an hour's drive of Lancaster in various directions.