Old 08-12-2011, 06:46 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I swear by my cast iron but since I bought my wife the new stove (glass top) I cant use them on it at all. I had to go out and buy the ceramic coated cast iron and I like them but I had a time trying to season the skillet. I use bacon grease also but for the life of me everything I cook in that one skillet sticks. Maybe in a few months of use it will figure out its place in life and all will be good but in the meantime my favorite skillet is delegated to cooking cornbread in the oven. :|

Billy
This is my predicament also. Bought the new glass top stove a couple of years ago when we moved in to the current house. We were going to buy a gas stove but somehow got turned around and bought the glass top. Well, yes, it is easy to clean but I would not buy one again. Scratches too easily even when using the "cleaner" on the top. You cannot shake the pans on top of it when cooking. And of course I cannot use my cast iron pans. Big bummer!

Edit: Just read Charlee's post about being able to use the cast iron on the glass tops. Maybe you can if you are careful but I just know I would end up moving the pan and really scratch that top up worse than it is now. Plus for the glass tops you are suppose to use pans that sit completely flat on the surface. My old iron pans have a slight ridge around the edge so they wouldn't sit flat. Cast iron is heavy and it's easier to "shake" than pick completely up and carefully turn ... at least for me.