View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 08:12 AM
wannaquilt1

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
yes, I turned only the center towards me and the needle still goes up and down and the bobbin isn't winding very well. It was just tuned up and the wires were all changed out, shouldnt' they have changed the washer?
Yes, but even an experienced machine repairer can get that darned washer positioned incorrectly - it LOOKS perfectly fine and it seems to work perfectly fine until you loosen the knob to wind a bobbin.

Unscrew the screw in the center knob, remove the handwheel, pull off the washer, turn it 180º and make sure it seats well when you replace it, put the center knob back, tighten the screw in the center knob and test it again.

If the needle still moves when you've got the knob loosened for bobbin winding, all that "stuff" in there is probably coated with enough sticky gunk to keep it all from moving freely, the way it should. The tolerances are very small in some gaps. You can break some of this free by physically holding the needle bar still while winding the bobbin, but it's better to take all that apart and clean it thoroughly.

Most repair people don't do this kind of cleaning in a "Clean, Oil, Adjust," so even if you see it on your bill, I'll bet that nothing beyond a cursory brushing or blowing away of lint in the bobbin case was attempted in the cleaning department. ;)

If it's still not winding a bobbin well, you may need a new bobbin winder tire - they cost about $1, so no great expense and just a few minutes to replace. I hope that's all it is, because fixing the angle of the bobbin winder and how it snaps down to engage the tire and hand wheel is just a pain in the neck. I have a 201 and a 15-91 that I just hold the darn thing in contact with the handwheel with my finger in order to wind a bobbin. Keep meaning to get those taken apart and fixed properly.... you know how that goes. :)
thanks so much i'll try it out!