Old 08-12-2011, 12:05 PM
geckos42

In a previous post I shared that my beloved Elna SU air electronic was stolen. Unexpectedly, my X-husband (!!!) bought me a replacement found on eBay. I took it to a technician and his evaluation is: It's not worth repairing. :cry: It has an attached base for setting it in a sewing cabinet and many of the external parts are not Elna parts and would have to be replaced. The biggest issue is the base, because without it removed, the "free arm" isn't accessible. But, with it removed, there's no base for the machine to stand on, so it would be even more wobbly and unstable than in it's current state. I brought the machine home and have set it aside until I have an epiphany.

Today I found the exact same machine in a gorgeously handcrafted wooden, fully-stocked cabinet (thread, bobbins, notions). The cabinet has an "elevator" (?) for lifting the machine. The sides of the cabinet open out fully and the top opens too. I'm not sure if it's both sides, or just one. In any case, it seems like a screaming deal I shouldn't pass up. The down side is: It would involve a 7-hr drive (one way) to get it. The trip alone would cost about $200. And, being an older Elna, is this really what I want/need? Will it solve my need for a "quilting" machine?

I only began quilting in March, 3 months before my machine was stolen. I pieced quilts with the Elna, but hadn't quilted on/completed any of the 5 quilt tops I started. Right now I'm borrowing a Janome and finished all the tops.

So, do I take advantage of what feels like an exceptional once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity ($200 for machine AND cabinet) or should I hold out for a newer sewing machine with modern functions such as needle up, needle down, etc.? Can I attach an even -feed foot to the Elna? Is the Janome even-feed foot compatible? Or should I continue using the Janome?

What experience do you have with an Elna SU air electronic (circa 1985)? I'm all ears! Thanks in advance for your input.