View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 07:06 PM
omak

A branch ... sneaky little devil <g>.
We were out feeding this evening, and I looked up in time to see a red,white face head around the foundation ... oops, I told hubby ... the calf is out and I had best get up there and start getting things under control.
Hubby was re-charging the rub, so I left him with the Cadet and the dogs took off with me across the pasture ...
my surprise was: it wasn't the calf ... but, it was the mom, so now mom is on the wrong side of the electric fence and the calf is on the right side, but calf can get to the wrong side to be with mom, so! The problem is: how to get mom up the hill if the calf ever comes through. (Normal people would probably be asking - - why did that cow go through the electric fence, but I pulled my Scarlett O'Hara character out and said, "I will think about that LATER!")
My cattle come (usually when I call "Come, Babe" ... but, they are usually in a slightly different frame of mind.
I managed to get her to follow me and the dogs (who won't "stay" worth beans at the most inopportune times) up the hill until we got to the machine shed - - which is not actually a shed, but is a lot of machinery all parked together. Then the calf came out, and I was sure I was going to lose it all ... but hubby came up with the Cadet ... he got behind her, and the short of it all was: cow and calf back with the herd and NO equipment damage ... how is that for being accomplished???
and, we found out that cattle will too go up a steep hill ... and some other things about the design of our fences when cattle are walking up sand hills next to electric fences. <g>
Just another day in paradise! LOL
I think your pup is a lot of what your husband has put into him.
Did he ever work him with a leash?
We didn't get Duke until he was over a year and a half old ... the fact that he is as good as he is, is almost a miracle.