Old 08-12-2011, 02:51 PM
nursie76

I think it depends on a lot of things....what your budget can handle and what you really want/need. I love the older machines, but since I have had my Berninas, I am very spoiled with the features of a new one. Some of the upper end Janome's are nice, and I test drove an upper end Elna at a quilt show that had a lot of the features of the new Janome Horizon, at about 1/2 the price, thought I can't remember the model. So, first decide what you can afford. Then, go out and test drive as many different makes and models at dealers in your area. That way you will get the feel for what is available out there...then, you can decide if you want to go with an older machine like you had, or, if you really would like a new one that would support what will probably soon be your "quilting addiction". And remember, many dealers take trade-ins, so there are some nice gently used pre-owned machines out there that can be had for a decent price. If you did that, then as you grew as a quilter, you could trade up like I did with my Berninas. Whatever you decide, good luck and don't forget to show pics of your final decision.

Let me add, that my DH worked a deal where he got an Elna 7000 (older machine) for free. The other day my daughter was doing some alterations and was sewing on chiffon. She needed a hemming foot attachment and the Elna had one. It worked like a dream and she is now on love with the Elna, which she has named Elaina...So, I do understand your love for your machine which was stolen.