View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 04:02 PM
QM
Power Poster

As one who is too old and disabled to get on the floor to quilt, I recommend other methods. At our senior center, quilters push several tables together to get a surface large enough to pin a large quilt, beginning by taping the backing down flat. My habit came to be that I would pin one side until I could remove the first table, continue 'nibbling' away at the pinning work, removing tables as I went.

Now that I am generally not up to joining everyone at the weekly quilting session, my DH got me a folding utility table. Someone, I don't recall who or where, suggested using a pair of long boards to form a sorta quilt frame. I asked the DH to buy me 2 borads and sand them nicely for me. He did one, saying it should be enough. Grumble.

I carefully lay out and smooth about 2' of quilt sandwich. I pin about a foot, but the board in place, then roll it up with the quilt as I go from there. I never have to deal with more than about 18" of quilt at a time. The board and folding table fit nicely by my desk when not in use. Most importantly, my back does not get any worse.