Old 06-08-2009, 12:57 AM
JANW

I had to respond to this on 2 levels
1st my daughter has add and dyslexia. Important to know learning disabilities do not mean dummies, because they are average to above average in inteligence. John F. Kennedy was learning disabled. When my daughter was put on ritalin, because of teacher pressure, she reacted with a flat depressed look and I refused to give it to her. Her school years were poor and it was mainly due to teachers not knowing how to teach and that continues to be a problem. But as they say to make a long story short, she did not complete high school and went to beauty school instead. Later I got her interested in checking out an extension program for paralegal at the university and she liked it but decided it wasn't right for her. But she got her foot in the college door and she not has a masters degree in social work. She did here thesis on learning disabilities.
2nd When I worked as a PA (now retired) I had a 2 year old patient and he was bouncing off the walls and his mother was at her wits end. I had recently had the same situation with another mom and she told me when her child was taken off milk and all milk product he became a calm loving child. So I asked this mom to give this a try for 1 week, but she was hesitant because she didn't know how to replace it. I suggested soy milk. After 1 week she called in tears to say she had done it and her child reacted in the same way, calm and focused child. Shortly after a 7 year old on ritalin was brought in by his custodial grandmother, saying this child had no friends at school and he even felt the teachers didn't like him. She was desperate. I thought why not have her try the same no milk or milk product test and she also came back to say the results were amazing. He was getting good grades, had begun to make friends, and the teachers were delighted with his behavior. The child was even making sure he didn't get any food with milk in it and was so happy to feel good. It takes a lot of reading labels and monitoring, but definately worth a week to see if in fact a child has a milk allergy plus it is a do no harm test.
I hope these two stories will offer you some worthwhile information