View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Kristin in ME

(Sorry that the color in this photo isn't very good- this isn't yellow. The background fabric is tan, the rest are browns and greens.)

This is a wall-hanging that I'm making my in-laws for Christmas. It's going to be a family tree. The idea I had is to add borders that will include all of their descendants' names in them. My original idea was to make squares out of two triangles- one muslin triangle, one print. Each muslin triangle would have a different family member's name on it. There would be rows of these squares all the way around. I'm having a hard time figuring out sizes to make these blocks, in a way that fit with the top's current dimensions (22 1/2" ) and have enough room on the triangles to fit a name. So then I thought of doing 2 inch squares, alternating a couple of rows of the 2 inch squares of prints and muslin like a checkerboard all the way around. Any thoughts?

And, the second thing I'm having trouble with- my original thought was to have the prints around the outside be scrappy. But now that I'm seeing how finished and "planned" the green and brown look together (even though the "leaves" are green scrappy), I'm worried that going completely scrappy will look weird with it. My husband suggested just doing scrappy of one color, like blue or something. My mother-in-law likes bright colors so I don't want to just leave it this muted, but I just don't really know what to do with it.

I hope this makes sense. I'd appreciate suggestions! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-240834.jpe