View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 07:32 PM
GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by ncredbird
Originally Posted by Jan in VA
I think they were used on bolsters placed on window seats and sofas. The open ended case could be changed and cleaned without the whole pillow/bolster being uncovered. Yes, the bolster had a cover and they were usually tied as previously described, then this case went on over that. Because proper women didn't sit all the way back against the sofa backing, the bolster added some comfort. When not in use it was decorative.

Jan in VA
You see this is what happens when a Yankee marries a Southern Boy! They have to be educated. We have been married 43 years now and I am still learning things about "Southerisms" and believe me I have heard the phrase "proper women" more than once. LOL
I think the first time that was used in my presence was when I told my MIL that I was going to breast feed our first child. She told me "proper women don't say 'breast feed'". So I asked, what do they call it? Her reply "proper women don't discuss such matters"
Thanks for the information ladies! I have learned something new today. Being as I won't be using any bolsters in the near future I may just cut it in half, seam the ends, and make it into two king sized pillowcases. At least we would get some use out of it that way. Ann in TN
oh, don't cut it. Buy or make yourself a bolster for your bed.