Old 06-08-2009, 06:55 AM
omak

I notice something in almost every response ... extra input and attention from a person who is focused on keeping the child on task.

I used to listen to KMBI on the radio at work, and there was an author who had written a book about going back to school after he had reached adulthood. He was about 25, but was so young looking that he was able to re-enter school as a freshman, if I remember correctly.

Two concepts he expressed have never left me.
He counted the number of times a new fact was introduced throughout his seven classes in a day - - it was over a hundred! Think about it! Sitting in a classroom... SITTING ... having over a hundred facts a day crammed into your head, one right after another! We aren't talking one subject ... this is a variety of subjects ... every day! With teachers who could care less what is going on in another class ... they are there for THEIR subject, and whatever goes on outside the one room is none of their concern.
I don't think we parents think about what we didn't like about school since we aren't there any more. It isn't our problem! But, the reality is - - those are the things that are influencing your child ... and, if you are a parent who had parents who lived a different lifestyle that you are living (as in parents providing care, versus institutionalized care) ... your child doesn't even have the foundation to survive what is a frenetic pace of learning.
The other thing the author said was: There was never time to celebrate.
He explained that when he would FINALLY understand one part of a problem or new thought, the teacher had already moved on through however many more new facts the kids are supposed to learn.
Just imagine, if you were sitting here at the computer and saw a quilt pattern you really were excited about - - and had to wait six hours or more to get to it (no fair printing it out - - just a quickly jotted note, without even being able to write what you like about that particular block) ... and right behind that new block that you would LOVE to get up and make right now, there are thirty other quilt blocks being discussed over the course of that hour class ...
I would imagine the very concept is uncomfortable to you as an adult. Imagine being a child, having this going on for hours, five days a week!
I do not often say this, but: That isn't fair!
It is not fair for us adults to expect a child to embrace the education system that isn't designed for individuality ... it just is not fair.
ANd, when a kid rebels in the only manner his/her limited vocabulary and intelligence (only lacking because he hasn't lived long enough to have very many options for action) ... a baby will cry in frustration, but kids ... how else do they have a chance to express the frustration, anger, helplessness, hopelessness they feel because the system is surely not designed for every personality ...