Old 06-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Mousie
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I cracked meandering, first on a large scale on totes, then gradually smaller. I was then able to buy a Bernina with BSR, which made it easier to keep an even stitch length. I bought a book by Karen McTavish that came with a video and watching that was very helpful for some of the different patterns of quilting.
What I did before I tried any stitching at all, was to draw the design I was intending to do. I doodled it all over everything for a couple of evenings, practicing how to get the design into various shapes, i.e. square, half square triangle etc., and how to get from one shape to another without having to backtrack very much. All the doodling seemd to help with hand/eye co-ordination, and made it easier once the quilt was on the machine. If I want to try another filling pattern, especially feathers, I still doodle it first, to get into my head.
I have never tried FMQ, it's on my list, too...but there is some great advice here, on this thread. LaceLady, like the idea of practicing movement with a pen, on ppr for a bit...to get it in my head. Kind of a psychological menta-imagery thing!
How clever is that?
K, like your idea of a tipple, but I'll have to settle for some chocolate milk...get the same effect most times :mrgreen: