Old 08-13-2011, 04:57 PM
JaneK

Ok, so now I have a question for all of the incredible knowledgeable folks on this board...I got a beautiful Singer 401A from a craig's list seller today. It's pristine, case is fabulous, but the machine seems to be frozen up. I've cleaned and unstuck the camshaft, and the knobs move smoothly, I took off the hand wheel and cleaned there. When I undo the clutch knob, the motor spins the bobbin winder speedy and perfectly, so the motor seems to be strong. It is the main shaft that doe not turn and the needle bar doesn't move. I have used kerosene, then oiled the dickens out of it. Even added gentle heat with the hairdryer. It moves just a fraction. Basically I have tried all the tricks I know. Do any of you have any other thoughts??? Or do I just need to develop a sense of patience? BTW when I got the machine and the attachments and the instruction manual, I also got the card table with the cutout to fit the slants!!!! It is pristine, too! paid $40.00 for all. So I hope I can get this 401 up and running! Help please!