Old 08-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Charlee

It just goes to show that, like quilting, there's no ONE right way to do anything! :)

I have 37 skillets, 3 "in house" dutch ovens, 6 "Camp ovens" (Dutch ovens with legs), I don't know how many muffin, popover, gem and cornstick pans, and a large roaster. Most are over 100 years old. None of them family heirlooms, I collected them here and there, and some were gifts. Add to that 57 cast iron trivets. All were seasoned and are taken care of the way I posted before. Nothing sticks in the cookware, and oil will "bead" in the skillet if there's not enough of it!

That being said, I will argue ONE thing. Campfires, fireplaces, and trash barrel fires to clean your cast iron is HARD on the cast iron! Ever notice that "rosy" hue that the iron takes on? It's not rust, and it's not fixable. You've changed the iron forever, and it will be weaker than iron that has not been "fired". You also take a chance on that cast iron cracking in the fire, or warping so that it no longer sits flat.

I would no more "fire" my cast iron cookware, nor would I sandblast it than I would take Comet Cleanser to my grandmother's antique sewing machine and treadle cabinet. Both might still work, but the value is gone...