Thread: Emi's creation
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Maride

Last April Emi and I went to visit Dotty (dottydotcom) in her NYC apartment. As a retired art teacher, Dotty had many nicknacks that attracted Emi's attention and of course, he walked out with horses sponges, which he loved. We came home and of course, he had to stamp something with them. We did some fabric to turn into a quilt, went to my scraps box and got to work. We were watching a quilting show in PBS, which is rare because we never get to see any and a lady was explaining how to make landscapes with tiny scraps. He took scissors , cut and cut and cut, and turned up with the top. I had to go back to school, so nothing was done since. Today I finally finished getting my house in order and up to date and am too broke to keep taking him out, so he pulled the top out and said: Is time to quilt! I did most of the quilting, since is free motion, but he helped and at some point I let him try at it, allowed him to place his hands on mine to get a feel for it, or just put his hand on the quilt looking at the stitched. It is small, so it went quick. He selected all the colors. I attached the binding to the front, clipped it and taught him how to attach it to the back by hand. It kept him busy for hours but he did it all by himself and is very proud of it.

His first idea was to sell it and use the money to get more fabric, but when he finished decided that it was hard work and he rather keep it for himself.. Maybe he will sell the second one he makes.

Hand sewing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241462[/ATTACH]

Piece and creator
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241463[/ATTACH]

The masterpiece
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241464[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-241456.jpe   attachment-241457.jpe   attachment-241458.jpe