Thread: Agressive cat
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 02:10 AM
meemersmom

Originally Posted by Pins n' Ndls
Could anyone tell me why my cat bites me ? She also scratches. Sometimes it's minor but last night she took a good bite out of my arm! I cannot give her up even though some have suggested that. She was given to me by someone who got her from a shelter when she was about one year they tell me. The previous owner said Bunny ( cat) used to chew on fiberglass ? Think they kept her in the basement. Most of the time she follows me everywhere, even walks all over my keyboard, etc. Very affectionate mostly. I am very upset as I love her very much! We have had her for over four years and would like to have her much longer.
You give a lot of clues as to the reasons for her behavior. But, can you provide a little more detail? What are you/she doing at the time? Playing? Sitting? Did she just jump up and bite for no reason? Has she had a complete checkup by a vet? The poor thing has had four homes in her short life (that you know of), so she may have abandonment issues -- yes, they do get them. If she bites while playing, its because that's how she was played with as a kitten and it was allowed. It may be cute when they're little, but they do grow up, but not out of that behavior. I ask about the vet check because she might have some underlying old injury and maybe you're touching her in a place that hurts? You've received lots of good advice from other posters --- show her gently who's boss, call her out on her bad behavior, love her and reassure her that you're not going anywhere. And, maybe resign yourself to the fact that she just is not a cuddlepuss. I have one like that...it's okay to be in the same room, but don't touch! Good luck, and thank you for not giving up on her.