Old 08-14-2011, 03:59 AM
quilt3311

Its canning and preserving time here in mid America. Garden produce is either canned, frozen or dehydrated. Freezer is stocked by buying a quarter of beef from an area processing plant. Yes our pantry is well stocked for the next year. Depending on weather conditions (hail) my stock usually lasts till the next growing season.
Have a DS who is now beginning to grow garden, and process the food. Yesterday experimented with salsa for the first time and came late in the day with a sample. Created his own recipe and I must say I am impressed.
As for fabric, OH I do buy ahead and have a well stocked larder. Most projects I am able to shop my shelves and create what I want, if I need a specific color, I overdye a piece that I already have on hand. Also keep a good supply of plain white pfd fabric to paint or dye as needed.
Threads etc, oh yes, when I find a really good sale on the types I like, I stock up. Am never sorry as when times get bad, like they are now, I can always sew.
We live miles away from stores, so in winter if we were not stocked up, we wouldn't eat. One winter it was 6 weeks before we could get to shopping. Once a week an airplane would fly over and drop our mail. Youngest daughter thought her sheets came from angels, because she knew Santa could not possibly have gotten through the snow. Packages were dropped from the plane.
Ah yes there still are places in the country where people do have to make do.