Old 08-14-2011, 04:04 AM
Edie

This is the time of the year when I start the squirrel thing. I gather nuts aka canned and packaged foods for the coming winter when we will be snowed into our little house on the prairie in the middle of the City of St. Paul not being able to get out for a week solid. Well, it has never happened. The streets are completely plowed out within 24 hours that the last snowflake fell and we live four blocks from a grocery store, two blocks from a liquor store, five blocks from a myriad of restaurants and a dance studio. Why I do this I have no idea, but I do!

I also think leftovers are better the second and third day!!!!!

I also "squirrel" fabric for that same snow storm that is coming that will be a good four feet high and I can sit inthe house and sew all day. Au Contraire. I am out there shoveling with the best of them and then I am too tired to sew! So technically I am all set for the winter, including thread like you wouldn't believe - got a really good deal on thread and bought 12 spools of thread that I don't think I'll finish up in a lifetime.

Don't forget about the fall cleaning either. I imagine the squirrels do that too, otherwise we wouldn't have so many piles of leaves and twigs under our birch trees!!!!!! Windows have to be cleaned, curtains have to be nice and fresh, woodwork, ceilings, walls, steps, basement, under the stove and refrigerator and then do it all over again in April. We are a strange breed aren't we? When my husband was still working (retired 18 years now), every Friday I would open up the windows and doors and let that cold fresh air waft through the house and drop the temp around 25 degrees and then close it all up again and it would smell so nice and clean and fresh. Now my husband won't let me do that (too cold) and can't figure out why it gets a little odiferous (onions and stuff from cooking). That's why!!!!! I don't open doors and windows in the winter anymore. How did I get on this subject when we are talking about stocking up stuff compared to fabric. If you need it, buy it. If it isn't absolutely necessary you don't. I buy fabric, food and clothes. What else do we need????? Edie

I use the word larder also and I keep our canned and packaged foods (mac and cheese) in the Cat Pantry!!!!!!