Old 08-14-2011, 04:27 AM
nhweaver

I stock pile food, as I buy when it is on sale. My cupboards are full, and I am a whim cook. If I feel like making chili, I can, or a meat loaf, or a turkey.

I stash too, my goal is to get my stash organized, and i am working on that . I love a bargain, and buy fabric when it is at least 50% off, i buy matching lots. I do buy at my LQS for special projects to fill in on the sale lots. Got carried away doing civil war quilts, that stash I will be selling (maybe).

I get little satisfaction out of watching the stock market (DH does that), we are retired, have a pot to pee in, and a roof over our heads. I have no overwhelming desire to leave money to the kids.

when you buy fabric, and you sell it, you may break even, or lose some $$. I do not buy "junk gadgets, silk flowers" made in China, you lose all the $$ paid for them, they have no resale value. we dine out rarely, don't need to tell you where that money goes. we use coupons for everything.

my stash is my hedge fund.

Originally Posted by justflyingin
I am wondering if those of you who don't keep the scraps from your quilts (normal sized, not teeny tiny pieces), to be used elsewhere, do you do the same in your kitchen? (throw away leftovers).

And for those of you who don't ever buy anything unless you have a use for it (a planned quilt) because you consider it an unnecessary tie-up of money, do you do the same for the food in your pantry? Do you make up a menu and shop for each meal specifically?

I'm trying to see if there is a relationship here in the personality type. As for me, I'm an Amy Daczyczyn (aka Tightwad Gazette) type and work from a pantry and try to buy the "extra" things I need while keeping a stock of basics in my freezer and pantry. And, I use my leftovers. My family eats them, like it or not. Sometimes they get tired of them, and sometimes (often) I create something else out of them (like making quesadillas out of leftover chicken (since I keep tortillas and cheese on hand).

So, this thread is esp. for those of you who don't like either scraps or buying ahead of time. Do your buying habits for fabric compare to food buying habits? I am curious if it is personality type that works "all around" or just specifically for sewing.