Thread: Singer Bargain
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Ritacarl

On the way home from shopping, I told my husband "Let's stop there", pointing at a Garage Sale sign.
Grumbling, he stopped. While looking I saw a Singer treadle, in stand, motorized, machine with $1.00 written on masking tape stuck on machine. I asked the lady is that right and she said yes. I asked if it worked and she said yes. I asked her why just a dollar and she said she just wanted to get rid of it. Now it was around 11 AM and it was still there. Must of been waiting for me so naturally I bought it. Got it into the SUV (Husband still grumbling) and got it home and into my sewing room. Then I went looking for the value. Looking here and there I found where to download a manual and also that the front and right side of the machine had nickle emblems. The nickle was stopped during the war because the metal was needed for the war. Then found it was born on Dec. 22, 1931 in Elizabeth, NJ. All this was from the model number or serial number. On e-Bay I found it was rare and worth------Are yor ready for this?----$1100.00. Now how accurate that is, is anyone's guess - but I am going to believe I have a valuable machne. Oh and by the way it does work. The manual did say that after sitting for awhile to be sure and oil all those holes. So got the oil. Haven't gotten into sewing anything yet because it is summer and we are having the inside of the house painted and things are a little busy but will later on. Just had to share.