View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 08:58 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by newestnana
I have recently become very interested in thread. Found it makes a HUGE difference in how my machine (Janome 6600) works. Although I've used a lot of Guterman poly thread for piecing (mainly because it's convenient to buy at my local JoAnn's), I found the machine likes Superior's bottom line in the bobbin (and BTW I know a long-arm quilter who uses it top and bottom). I've used Superior's King Tut variegated (in a long-arm machine I rented time on) and in my Janome -- really beautiful and I especially like that the color changes often (some variegated changes are more spread out).

I have also tried Sulky Polylite (can't get it at my JoAnn's but there are a few places online) and my machine definitely likes that too -- it says no tension adjustments, even for FMQ, and I found that to be true. I used a variegated and plan to buy more.

I am now trying out Aurifil -- cotton but almost lintless.

I have Connecting Thread cones for piecing -- working fine but I have to clean the lint out often.

Unfortunately my machine does NOT seem to like Mettler, which is not cheap but my favorite LQS carries it.
I use Aurifil and love it. I had problems getting my 6 1/2 blocks being the right size and my teacher suggested it. Made a great deal of difference; it's only 2 ply. I'm just starting to venture out into quilting. I used the varigated to do fabric for a jacket ( I did cross-hatch) and not once did the thread break or have any issues. Viking recommends it for my mega quilter. I don't notice a problem w/lint with it either.