Old 08-14-2011, 04:35 PM
sushi

Placemats with coordinating napkins, especially if you own a serger that can do a rolled hem on the napkins.

The 6-Hour Quilt, by Kaye Wood, would be appropriate, too, if you have ~6 hours to make it. It's machine-pieced using quilt-as-you-go (aka flip and sew) method. It can accommodate any number of themes and variations. (My favorite is a rainbow because it can easily be divided into 7 fabrics, which I assemble in opposite directions on the two sides.) On the other hand, I've made lovely quilts using only two fabrics.

Over the years, I've come to know a number of parents who were comforted by the image of the dragonfly when they lost a child. As you may know, it is one symbol of life, death/metamorphosis, and rebirth. (A dragonfly larvae hatches in water. Once it metamorphoses into a winged adult, however, it must fly away and is unable to return to inform the other larvae of their airborne future.)

So I'm thinking you might look for some dragonfly fabric to make whatever project you choose.

Just a thought. You're a wonderful friend-of-a-friend to help in this tragic circumstance!!!