View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 05:19 PM
kay carlson

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Find a sweatshirt pattern that will fit him, than elongate it to cover his feet and than some and add a zipper down the front. Clear as mud?
I made these in the early 1980's for my twins. Ribbing for neckline and cuffs. Center front l*o*n*g zipper and growth room built in for length of body and sleeves. Use a boxy (not tight) raglan sleeve sweatshirt pattern.

Growth room to me means folds of fabric about 1 inch high, sewn on outside of garment. Having it outside the garment made it easy to "let out" when necessary, didn't rub against the skin of the child, and the color of this strip was the same as the rest of the fabric. Letting out the growth strip equals two inch gain in length.

One growth room strip for each sleeve just above the ribbed cuff. Two separates growth strips on the lower portion of the "bag" in the area of the shin to ankle. Please be sure to box out the bottom of the blanket sleeper with a rectangular piece of material so the child has extra room to move his feet and kick a little.....think of this as a tote bag bottom.

These are easy to make. I made two/three for each of my
twins and they slept like logs. This translates to Mom sleeping through the night. Hurray!

I wish I was nearby to help you in person. They are easy, easy, easy to make. You are angels:)