Old 08-14-2011, 07:40 PM
JaneK

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by JaneK
Hi all, I'm vintage , too!:) Anyway the Singer 401 saga continues...Miriam, you were correct, it took patience, and some spray bottle isopropyl alcohol..works wonders but avoid getting it on painted surfaces and the motor.. So now it sews, but the needle is stuck in the far left position. Does anyone know about this machine and possible causes and cures for a stuck left needle bar? Can't do zig zag or any decorative stitches. Or, do I need to take her to the repair man? Problem is, my sewing machine shop locally and the only OSMG I trust closed this month, due to the lack of business due to the economy...I'm so sad about that. Thoughts anyone on the stuck needlebar?
Thanks!!!
The best cure would be to take out the needle bar and the race that has a screw in it and soak it in the alcohol, clean out the hole the race's pin goes in and then put it back together. You would have to time the machine though or it won't sew.

or

The needle bar has a little race with a pin in it - it goes back and forth - side to side - put the machine up on her balance wheel end and then shoot some more alcohol on that little piston while you jiggle it. That area gums up pretty good - that might fix it.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I will have the machine stand on her end for a while and give the bar a jiggly alcohol bath! I'll keep you all posted on the progress and hopefully some photos soon!