View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 11:48 PM
geckos42

I want to share photos of my latest quilt. I made a similar lap quilt for my grandson's 6th birthday (previously posted). He wants to be a policemen when he grows up. When I presented it to him, my son (a police officer) suggested making more quilts - for him to take to work. His thinking is that his fellow officers will want one. I told him to act quickly because the fabric is disappearing. Most of it is from the American Heroes collection.

These photos are of the Rail Fence quilt I finished today and hope to sell.

The Rail Fence pattern works great for this law enforcement theme. The black block with the blue stripe represents the "Thin Blue Line" police walk every day (putting their lives at risk). The "Police Line Do Not Cross" stripe (yellow and black) completes another block - without the busy pattern and yellow being too overpowering.

I machine-quilted it, stitching parallel diagonal lines every 2" around the border. All but the pale blue fussy cut blocks were SID. I shadow-quilted the fussy cut blocks and added an "X" to give it more depth/texture. The dimensions are 40" X 52".

There was no handcuff fabric left from my grandson's quilt and I regret not having bought more when I had the chance. It's been discontinued. Sigh . . .

I'm gaining more confidence and improving my skill with each quilt, but haven't yet mustered up the courage for free-motion quilting. I think a few hotpads are in order - if for no other reason than they're good practice projects and not too large to screw up. :wink:

This is my 6th quilt since I learned to quilt in February and am officially a quiltaholic. I can't think of a better addiction!

quilt backing; beige with tiny navy blue stars
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242056[/ATTACH]

The border is a collage of newspaper articles
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242057[/ATTACH]

My solution for quilting the fussy cut blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242058[/ATTACH]

Close up of the blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242059[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-242049.jpe   attachment-242050.jpe   attachment-242051.jpe   attachment-242052.jpe   attachment-242053.jpe