Old 08-15-2011, 05:17 AM
Barb44

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by Tartan
The next time you see a challange or a contest (usually sponsored by fabric line) sign yourself up. They usually have either a fabric line or idea to work from and you have to create to show it off. This will stretch your creativity and you might surprise yourself.
Great idea - also, work from a photo of the physical world or a piece of art in another genre (obviously respect copyright at all times). This gives you clues to line, perspective, scale etc - the design 'rules' and you can begin to see what works artistically speaking and then you can begin to explore the reasons why something works then translate it into your own work. :-D
That's what I want to do. I have an aerial photo of the farm my mom grew up on. I would like to make that picture in a quilt. The buildings are all gone now. I can't quite get my head around it yet, though. I guess I need to gather fabrics that will work, just start cutting them and placing on a background. This is a whole new thing for me and it is kind of scary. I usually just do scrappy quilts or a traditional pattern in traditional fabrics.