Old 08-15-2011, 08:50 AM
wantabe quilter

Originally Posted by romanojg
Originally Posted by wantabe quilter
Originally Posted by romanojg
Originally Posted by wantabe quilter
Thank you Judy I will do that. I have written everything down and will go to JoAnn's on my lunch break to purchase thread and needles.
You may not find Aurofil at Joann's but look for all cotton thread; they have several to choose from. When piecing blocks w/alot of different colors I was taught to just go with a neutral or natural color; it'll blend with most items. I've made several quilts this way and you can't tell from the top what's on the bottom. Use the same thread in your bobbin as in the top thread for less problems
Do you know how to do free motion quilting on a home sewing machine? I was using two different color threads on a practice quare with a light fabric on top and dark on the bottom. My top threads were showing on the bottom and the stitches didn't look even. Some would be little and some were longer. I watched a couple of videos and they both said to set my stitch lenghth to 0 since I would be controlling the speed. Could the thread showing on the bottom be caused if I was using the wrong needle size or the wrong kind of thread.
It's probably from your tension or you could be moving your fabric fast. If your machine has a setting to slow it down take it to the lowest #. Normally the way it goes is if the thread on top of the fabric is messig up; it's the bobbin tension and if the thread on the bottom of the fabric is messing up it's the top tension. I've also hears about changing the stitch length and tension. I'm no expert on FMQ either but I've been watching alot of videos and hanging out here on the board. Here is a site that I like and want to order her beginners cd's.

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/
I really like her and she's easy to understand. Missiouri quilts also have some tutorials on their site. I watch all that I can find in case one technique doesn't work I can chose a different one. Let me know how you like the site.
Daystyledesigns is who I have been watching and also a you tube video by Patsern. I really like Day Style also she explains everything really well. My macine in brand new so I guess I just need to keep playing around with it until I can figure out what I am doing wrong.