Old 08-15-2011, 09:41 AM
StitchinJoy

Originally Posted by Tartan
The next time you see a challange or a contest (usually sponsored by fabric line) sign yourself up. They usually have either a fabric line or idea to work from and you have to create to show it off. This will stretch your creativity and you might surprise yourself.
I found this to be true for me. Several years ago I saw a challenge sponsored by Quilters Newsletter for some gorgeous reproduction toile fabric collection, Season of Toiles, made by P&B Textiles.
http://www.antiquequiltdating.com/A_...of_Toiles.html

I dreamed about one of the fabrics, a medallion border print covered with circles. I even dreamed designs for the fabric.

I decided to try to make my dream a reality. I bought yards of the medallion fabric and cut it up into hundreds of little squares and sewed them back together again, just like I saw them in my dream. They made sort of a Love Ring design.

I liked the result. t was very much like I had envisioned. So I took photos and entered the contest.

Much to my surprise, my quilt won the challenge! It was exhibited at the Allentown Museum. And the prize was $1,000. I bought our daughter's wedding gown with it!

My husband took my photo in front of my quilt at the museum. If I look a bit shell shocked, well, I sure was!

So I will surely second the motion-- challenge yourself. Surprise yourself. Stretch. Grow. Learn. See what develops. I bet you surprise yourself too!

Reconstruction at the Allentown Museum
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242258[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-242252.jpe