Old 08-15-2011, 12:11 PM
jljack

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by jljack
So, on with the story about the Singer 1891 machine and treadle that Quiltncowgirl and I got and split.

Here's my 1909 66-1 in the cabinet now. I think she looks very smart in there!! But still not sewing...I have to check if the hook is moving. She was dry as sand when I got her, and I have been oiling her for days. Some stuff is still really really tight.

More pics on the pics thread. The coffin top, etc.
BEAUTIFUL! I love your cabinet and machine. Once you get this gal running, you will love her. My Singer 66-1 made me fall in love with treadling- and seeking other machines to play with.

I did find that she performed much better after numerous oiling and sewing practices. I did have to play around with the tension to get a pretty stitch, a trial and error method. I learned to treadle with the 66 and at first have ugly stitches. If this is your first in treadling, be patient with yourself and the machine.

Gorgeous setup! Enjoy! And thanks for sharing!
Thanks, Monica. I actually have been "dry running" the treadling, and I don't have a problem getting a rhythm. The machine turns very freely now, but still not making a stitch. I haven't turned it over to watch the hook move. I'm in the middle of making a big quilt that I want to get finished this week. Hope next weekend I'll be able to spend some time with "Harriet" and get her stitching!! :-) If not, I'll bring her to the TOGA to see if anyone can get her going.