Thread: Storage ideas
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 01:56 PM
maryb44662

Originally Posted by DonnaC
This isn't strictly a storage type of idea, but it has changed my sewing life (grin). Clean out a large or small coffee creamer bottle (like the Coffee-mate ones with the red tops), fill with water, and use it to fill your iron. No more spilling water all over the place; these things never drip, and the tops close tightly and don't leak, just in case you're a klutz like me and keep knocking it off the ironing board. I have a small-sized bottle to take to classes, and the bigger size for home.

I've bought a bunch of the small plastic schoolboxes/pencil boxes at the back-to-school sales this year. I use those for everything! I have small cabinets that I store all of my sewing stuff in, and I can stack those little boxes on the shelves and still be able to close the doors.

Oh, and just one more idea... those little rectangular plastic Gerber baby food containers. The lids lock nice and tightly and they're great for storing small items. Now I just have to find someone with a baby because the little boy my Mom used to babysit is almost 4 and doesn't eat baby food anymore (but I still have a stash of containers from when he did eat baby food!).
I use empty, washed out very good, dish detergent bottles to fill my iron. Works very good, no spills, unless you miss the iron hole....lol Love this thread!

P.S. I use pizza boxes for quilt blocks, plastic sheets for patterns and all my patterns that have been cut out, i.e. sunbonnet sue, etc. These boxes stack really well. Every time I go to a pizza place I ask to buy a couple boxes. I have different sizes.