Thread: Dissapointment
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Kristin in ME

Give yourself a break! You've only been quilting for 3 months. Finish a quilt and consider it a victory, no matter how you think it looks! Don't expect a blue ribbon quilt with your first attempt, just enjoy the process and give yourself credit for how much you are learning.

And I have to say, I have plenty that are in various stages of progress. Sometimes things that were obvious flashes of genius in my mind just don't quite work out that way when I start to put them together, unfortunately.

I have one quilt that I just pulled out of a box this week that I started about six or seven years ago. When I was piecing it, it went through several evolutions, all of which I was excited about as I worked on them. It got so far as getting partly quilted (by hand) before I realized how un-stunning it really was. The design wasn't great... The construction wasn't good (at all!). In fact, it was bad. In fact, I hated it. A couple of years ago, I even tried to give it away to my sister. She took it, then later gave the darn thing back.

So, it's been sitting in a bag, being ignored all this time. The thing is, it was supposed to be for my daughter, and she doesn't know better so she likes it. So I pulled it out this week, determining that by golly, it's going to get finished. I came up with a new plan for quilting it, which I feel better about, and will try to ignore the pointless triangles and mismatched seams.

Long story, but the point is, we all make things we're not crazy about. But as a beginner, just be forgiving to yourself and if you don't love it, try to just chalk it up as a learning experience. And keep coming to this board! You will learn SO much!

Best wishes for many years of happy quilting to come! :)