Thread: tube quilting
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 04:57 AM
dallen4350

Originally Posted by ssnare
This is a pretty quilt. Thank you all for your help. It is the Missouri sewing that I have watched on u tube. What do you mean when you say, "Aligned opposite points on the seam and cut."? I use a square ruler too. And the only angle that is marked on the ruler is a 45 degree angle.

Originally Posted by dallen4350
All these suggestions are good. I didn't use starch, but did use a square. Aligned opposite points on the seam and cut. I did put "The Steady Betty" (little adhesive anti-slip pieces) to the back of all my rulers. Also put a new blade in the rotary cutter. I didn't have any problems. I've attached a picture so you can see. I had a half of a Bali pop, so I added strips of white. This is just a large lap quilt. Still need to add boarders.
I used a square. The 45 degree line runs from one corner to the opposite corner. So I just aligned the points on the seam. The 45 degree line would run along the seam, but mostly I made sure the two points were on the line (until the strip was too short, then I used the 45 degree line).

Also, after the 1st cut, make sure that the cut edge of the quarter inch seam allowance runs along the edge of the square. That sounds confusing, but basically be sure that the point of the square or the edge of the ruler is aligned to the cut edge of the seam. If it is off even a little, then your pieces would come out different sizes. I have attached pictures.

Hope this helps.

Imagine the strip continuing, The two points of the ruler would be on the seam.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242622[/ATTACH]

Shows how the edge of the ruler aligns with the previous cut.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242623[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-242616.jpe   attachment-242617.jpe