View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 08:55 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by M.I.Late
Ever notice the manufacturer doesn't always get the fabric folded and rolled onto the bolt square? This is one of the main reasons I choose to pre-wash. Pre-washing gives me a chance to re-square it before I refold it. It can be an inch or more off in a single cut.

Here's what I do:

Fresh out of the dryer - hold it selvage to selvage let the fold fall. Is there a diagonal "bubble" in the fabric? If so, slide one of the selvages right or left - when it hangs completely flat, it's right.

Now look at the cut edges again. 85% of the time, I've lost some usable fabric from the original cut. Can't discover this unless you pre-wash.

So strips cut from an unwashed piece, may not actually be on the straight of grain and sometimes this shows.

Hope this helps someone...
You described the process well. I think it is one of the more important steps.

I've also decided that once it "lays flat" - I'm not going to fight with it any more and will use it "as is"

I've tried doing the diagonal "tug" - but after washing and drying, it seems to have found its "natural mode" - and many times after doing the tugging, it just goes to where it wants to go.