Old 08-17-2011, 03:34 AM
ptquilts

I think this thread really gets to the heart of the whole charity/gift giving thing - is it about the giver or the recipient? I remember after Katrina, people wanted to send food, blankets, clothes, whatever, and the agencies involved just needed cash.
Someone else said in another thread, it takes a lot of work and manhours to sort non-cash donations and get them to the right people. In a giant disaster that is impractical.

Now on a smaller scale, if someone local lost their home, or whatever, a handmade quilt would be a nice donation, once they are set up in a new place.

I think some times the giver wants to give for their own reasons and does not think of the recipient. Like when the Marines or Sal. Army collects toys at Christmas, they ask for new toys. You always hear some (Grinch) asking, Well why can't I donate my kids' used toys?

edited to add - I get what people are saying about sending money and you don't know where it goes. CharityNavigator website is very good for finding out this info. And NEVER give to anyone who calls you on the phone. Only give to charities you are very familiar with.