Thread: Canadian buyers
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 07:19 AM
LovinMySoldier

I have always shipped to Canada on here as well as in my etsy store. I know that my Canadian buyers are more than willing to pay the extra shipping but about 6 months ago I seriously debated not shipping to Canada because of the HUGE headache I received later.

I made some crib bumpers that I had sold for 75.00 in my etsy store. The lady was very happy to find ones that matched the quilt that someone had given her as a baby gift :) Same fabrics and all! So I shipped them to her and she was furious about the horrendous fees that came due on delivery. She was so mad at me! She said that she had paid the shipping and did not think that it was fair that she should have to pay anymore. I paid the shipping fees on my end. Not being from Canada, I had no idea what the fees were for or why she had been charged them. It is not my country and I do not understand how the Canadian government does things. After numerous calls on both ends we fund out how the fees were all broke down. We were able to get the charge on delivery reduced but it was still a good size fee. We found out that it was basically a random search fee charge and brokerage fees or something else yadda yadda yadda. Not really sure. Part of the problem was that I shipped with UPS not through the regular mail. I didn't realize that it would make any difference. I had looked a couple places for a good sized box to fit them in since they are long and skinny and ended up just going there to buy the box and ship it there to avoid any more hassle. Anyways I ended up splitting the fees with her. Basically just to keep peace and to avoid a negative review by her. I lost hours trying to figure it all out. And after paying the additional fees on the bumper pads (which I had already discounted) I ended up losing money on the whole deal. It cost me in the end.

I have since shipped to Canada but I have been really nervous about it every time. Honestly if I have another bad experience like that I probably wont ship there again. I know that it is unfair to you guys as the buyer but a huge headache is unfair to the seller too :(