Old 08-17-2011, 08:53 AM
lue

Originally Posted by meemersmom
Originally Posted by bearisgray
For many of us, the very first response to almost any emergency is "He/She/They need hand-made quilts"

Interestingly enough, some of us are willing to spend $20+ and hours of time on a quilt and donating it - but not so willing to send $20 in cash for mundane things like water and food. (Assuming that the cash would go for what it was intended)

Wonder why?
I believe it is because people have been burned by charities before. There are very few I give cash to, and that is because I know where the money will be spent -- it's intended purpose, and not for overly inflated salaries of multiple layers of unnecessary management, not 70 cents of every dollar used to pay for fundraising activities (!!!). Next time you get a call or letter asking for a cash donation, ask them to first send you a copy of their annual report which shows their budget. See the responses you get. By law, they have to tell you. They will try to stall. Check out http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde....view&cpid=224 to see more about this and who ends up with what.

And, no tarring and feathering...you just asked a legit question.

Thank you for that website! I'm forwarding THAT to my friends.